March 15, 2009

Retention Checklist

Last week, Val and I attended a Retention Summit, organized by our HR partners at The Bellevue Hotel. It was a 4-hour summit that has invited different people from different position and department, to discuss past attrition report and create a new, innovative retention effort by the company. Aside from the good venue and sumptuous meal, I am happy to know that my company do really care for their employees.

Attendees of the Retention Summit. TL is 2nd from Left.

Before this summit was held, I have been following some Retention Checklist since I started to become a leader of a team. This has helped me maintain a good working relationship with them, and made them own the business that we are running. So far, this checklist has been effective and I want to share this to everyone who might be interested to know.

In my team, I work collaboratively with each member to develop a personal growth plan, and I support their acquiring new skills and provide opportunities for them to use their newly acquired knowledge and talents. I look for each person’s strengths and guide individuals toward fully using their best talents.

I leave as many choices as possible in how work gets done to those who perform the tasks. I promote meaningful work by allowing employees to work on “whole tasks” whenever possible. My team gains a sense of accomplishment greater than when they only repeatedly perform a single function. I ensure all team members has the tools they need to produce excellence. I recognize and acknowledge personal achievement of each member at le
ast weekly.

I provide performance feedback regularly so that at regular reviews, there are no “surprises” to them. I take a personal interest in each team member, their professional and personal growth, their interests and passions. I assist with their being able to do more of what they love as often as possible. I continually clarify and update job-performance requirements and expectations.

I am aware of the resources required by my team to produce top-quality work. So I ensure adequate resources by using my influence in the organization to obtai
n what’s needed. I share company information regularly, and I demonstrate that I value employees’ desire to be “in the know”. I regularly report results of our work, its impact on the customer and the company, keeping them apprised of how our work fits into “the big picture” of serving customers and achieving corporate goals.

I remain open to employee ideas and fully consider all, even if they appear at first to be impractical. I get back to the employee in a timely manner with an honest reply about whether the idea can be implemented. I provide coaching to under-performing team members. I appropriately re-assign or terminate employees when their skills, personal deficits or behavior have a negative impact on customer service, company objectives o
r the morale of the team.

I allow dialogue about concerns, and provide honest input. I seek answers when possible. I’m not afraid to say “I don’t know” when questioned about the future. It's better to be honest than to be a pretender. And lastly, I always promote fun at work. I think everyone in the company knows that. Who would not want fun while working? That could be the reason why my craziness reflects in my team as well. Haha!!!

No comments: