June 16, 2009

Birthday Entry XXVII: Jayce Jacinto

Date Submitted: June 16, 2009

The world gets harsher and harsher. It doesn’t seem surprising that people magically transform into grotesque caricatures of themselves. Why not? They see it on TV, hear about it in the news, hear about them over the radio.

We breed ideals of people that are so far-fetched from the truth that we start idolizing fantasies that we know deep in our hearts will never become reality. That’s why they are fantasies, to begin with.

But I know someone who’s real. In this world where people put up so many walls as automatic defense mechanisms (Believe me, I know what I’m talking about. My own walls can build a fortress!), there’s someone I know who doesn’t need any defense mechanism, because the only thing he does is wear his heart proudly on his sleeve.

People might think it’s crazy. I’ve heard it countless times. The worst advice you can ever give a person is for them to simply be themselves. But this person I know goes against that erroneous belief. Why entangle yourself in a cocoon of webbed lies when it’s easier to be true to yourself. Be human. Feel things. Enjoy things.

I’ve seen this person get hurt, stand up, shake the dust off his clothes and go back to being the merry person that he is. That’s what being human is all about after all, isn’t it? Only we can get to bounce back from the trials of life and claim, “I learned from that experience!”

James is the perfect human being because he has an amazing heart. He believes in the resilience of the human spirit.

So, as the world gets harsher and harsher and things constantly change to the grotesque… I can still smile. There’s still one thing I can count on. That is, the humanity of James Leyson.

No comments: